$150 PER SESSION
YOGA FOR CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
This session caters to meet individuals’ desires and goals. Yoga therapist and caregiver come to an agreement on goals setting which supports the NDIS participant’s plan if needed. Integrating yoga activities, story-showing, colour, music and songs, to teach the skills of expressing emotion in healthier ways. Using yoga postures to build fine motor skills and muscles coordination, movements and strengths with the help of yoga kits like yoga postures images/pictures, visualization and affirmations.
Yoga for Children with Special Needs aims to bring the benefits of yoga to the lives of children and their caregivers who need holistic support to live loving, joyful and peaceful lives for years to come.
Children with special needs often struggle with social and emotional development, sensory integration dysfunction, difficulties in releasing or expressing emotions and behavioural management issues.
Yoga postures/movements, breathing techniques and mindfulness practices are incorporated into each session depending on the needs of the individuals. Self-regulation is ultimately the goal to support children in learning strategies to express their emotions, mental and physical response to sensations, develop a sense of self-confidence, and be in control of themselves and the world around them.
Yoga can support children with:
- Down Syndrome
- Learning Disability
- ED (Emotionally Disturbed)
- SPD – Sensory Processing Disorder or difficulties
- Cerebral Palsy
- Mobility Challenges
- Motor Coordination Difficulties
- Behavioural challenges
- LPD – Language Processing Disorder or communication difficulties
- Anxiety Disorders
- Trauma Backgrounds
- All children, any and all abilities, bodies and backgrounds!
As a yoga therapist, I assist through:
- physical poses to connect the child to his/her body (by support learning body parts) and be in tune with his/her emotions, feelings and energy levels
- yoga games and activities that teach compassion, giving and receiving, love gestures (stories and role play)
- awareness of gentleness in all actions, thoughts and speech (encouraging positive and non-competitive social interaction with others, sharing, taking turns and respecting personal boundaries)
- partner yoga (teach children to ask for permission before touching- “May I” and work together with gentle hands)
- mantras (Peace, Begins, With, Me)
- replacement behaviours for self-injurious behaviours
- sensory integrated activities (songs, silly dances, musical instruments, stories)
- And more…
My intention is to build resilience, self-confidence, self-esteem, self-empowerment, self-expression and self-regulation as the children move through the world with deeper intuition, awareness and curiosity. Well-balanced, empathetic, kind, compassionate, caring, loving and discerning are the values we hope these children will embody as they venture into the future.